Whenever a child's birthday rolls around, it seems like every mother's reaction is the same: Incredulity. Disbelief. Although in most cases, it is the mother who has felt most intimately the hours that have gone into raising this child, that doesn't matter. She still experiences moments of denial when she gazes upon her offspring and realizes that they are indeed growing and developing into individual, remarkably independent beings. But, accompanied by that denial, at least for me, is a warm sense of relief and satisfaction. For, in many ways, our children's milestones and accomplishments are our own, and they provide a changing landscape for our life's journey, signifying that maybe we are moving forward and getting somewhere during our time on earth.
This past week we celebrated Mika's first birthday, and so here are the anticipatory emotions:
Incredulity: I can't believe our little baby is one. I can't believe that little bundle we brought over from Iowa has been with us for 12 whole months.
Relief: It's reassuring to know I've kept her alive for that long--kept
her from falling down the stairs or choking on grapes. Even though we've
only managed to add a measly 10 pounds to her birth weight . . . I've started mixing butter into everything she eats to try and fatten her up, doctor's orders.Incredulity: I can't believe our little baby is one. I can't believe that little bundle we brought over from Iowa has been with us for 12 whole months.
Satisfaction: I'm so glad she's part of our family. I can't imagine life without her carefree giggles and slobbery kisses.
Dear Mika,
Because someday you may look back and wonder what kind of child you were, I'll tell you. At one year old, these are three things you love:
1. Outside
You are usually a very even-tempered child, but you can put up quite a fuss if you see your sister playing outside while you are stuck indoors, or if I bring you inside when you're not done immersing yourself in nature. You always light up when I buckle you into the stroller for a jog, and you never seem to tire of getting your hands into grass, rocks, wood chips, and dirt. You are going to love getting your feet on the trail for our family hikes next summer.
2. Blankie
One afternoon your blanket fell out of the stroller while we were out
walking and I didn't notice until it was bedtime. You kept peering into
your crib, looking for it, and I felt horrible. I took the car and
retraced our steps through the neighborhood, now dark, but didn't see
it. Then your dad went out in the rain by foot to look again--still no
luck. It took some extra time to get you to go to sleep that night. The
next morning I made fliers to publicize our lost item and took the girls
down the same route once again, taping them up as we went along. Then
we went to the park, and I got a phone call there while you and your
sister were swinging. The day before, someone about a mile away from our
house had picked up the blanket in his driveway, thinking it belonged
to his little niece who had visited earlier. Then his mother saw the
last of the fliers I posted by their mailbox that morning, realized it
didn't belong to their family, and kindly called to give me her address
for pick-up. Most of the morning was gone by the time we made it over to
retrieve that blanket, but it was worth all the time and effort to see
you happily nuzzle your face against the pink fuzz when I handed it to
you. For a moment, I felt like a superhero.
| Getting some beauty rest before her birthday party |
3. Doggies
If we're out on a walk and you see a dog, you point and let the whole
neighborhood know. If we're inside the house and you hear a dog barking,
you look out the nearest window (sometimes even pull yourself up to it)
and peer out to try and find the source. Sometimes we worry that you think you are a dog, the way you eat food that falls on the floor and put your paws on my leg to ask for more.
| Dan and Christie came to the party, and brought Levi the dog. Thankfully, Mika did not assume he was one of her birthday presents. |
| Paca also made it to the party on his way back from Utah |
| The girls couldn't get enough of Uncle Dan as a wolf in sheep's clothing |
| Mika holding her new cocker spaniel from Mommy and Daddy |
| Aunt Christie with her tiny, adorable baby bump |
| Teresa came to the party, too! |
| Mika's doggie cake |
Daw-gee, Daw-ee or Daw-jee (doggie)
Duh-kee, Duh-gee (duckie)
Aw-ee (hi)
Mama (Mommy/I'm hungry)
Dah-ee (Daddy)
Zus (Jesus)
Uh-oh
Oh dee (oh dear)
Ahhh (I want a drink)
Dis (This. I like this thing/gimme this thing)
Mmm (yummy)
Mmwah (kisses)
| Mmmwah |
No comments:
Post a Comment