Friday, April 15, 2011

New Recruit Poses for First Photo Shoot

Upon finding out that our family is expecting a second baby, many people have asked: "So, do you want a boy this time?"

My response has been:

1) We would be shocked if it were a boy this time. At the University of Illinois, Forest worked at a lab where all male lab assistants are reported to produce only female offspring for a couple of years upon exposure. Ramona was at least the eleventh consecutive baby girl included in this informal study, and several more have been born since.

2) I don't know if I'm ready for a baby boy. They are kind of different creatures, aren't they? But if, against the odds, we get a little guy, sure, we'll take one, and I'll do my best to be his mommy.

Our ultrasound was this morning, so we got to see baby #2 for the first time. As with the previous pregnancy, I felt thrilled to put be able to associate the image of a little squirming body on a screen with all the movements I've been feeling in utero the last couple of weeks. And also, I felt reassured that its little heart, brain, stomach--so many little parts were all accounted for.

But then, of course, we got to find out a little bit more.

"From the heart, I would say boy," the technician said, upon receiving our permission to determine the baby's sex. As she moved her magic wand to the appropriate spot, however, she changed her mind. "Oh, no...looks like it might be a girl." She referred to the baby as "she" for the rest of the ultrasound, and to be honest, I breathed a sigh of relief. Baby girl. I've done that before. I can do it again--right? Ramona, will you help me with your baby sister?

2 comments:

The Nelsons said...

So fun!! Is that your official "diagnosis?" Are you already that far along? Wow!

Maria said...

Congrats on girl #2!