Dear Wylie,
Almost a year ago I prayed that you would join our family. We were thrilled to find out you were coming, and now that you are here I know you were worth every minute of the wait. You have already been such a blessing to our family.
I hope you are okay with the birthday we chose for you--June 2, 2016. It was looking as though my body had forgotten how to go into labor on its own, and at our 40-week checkup the doctor had some concerns about your growth. So we decided to get me hooked up to some pitocin to help get you out. It feels so strange making an appointment to have a baby, and a little awkward hanging around at the hospital waiting for it to start happening. But it was reassuring to hear your little heartbeat while I was connected to the monitor, and it put my anxieties at ease knowing my doctor was close by, watching over you.
After 5.5 hours of pitocin, my body finally got the hint. Around 2:30pm it felt like I was actually in labor, and at 4:14pm you were born. I apologize for the screaming as you came out--I decided to forego the epidural again, and found myself vocalizing to manage the pain, as with the previous two births. Once the brief nightmare of pushing was over, with my eyes still closed, I felt a warm bundle dropped onto my chest, and opened my eyes. It was you. "It's a boy!" both the doctor and nurse confirmed, knowing I had only ever produced girls up until then. I marveled at your perfect little body and at the miracle that had just occurred. One rarely feels so richly rewarded for just under two hours of labor, regardless of the physical strain and intensity required.
You weighed in just shy of seven pounds--kind of a slender guy, but strong and healthy as far as anyone can tell. I was so relieved to know that you were okay.
Here we are in our postpartum and recovery room. Such a pretty view of the mountains from the windows facing West.
Such a handsome little face to admire on my new baby.
You have probably figured out by now that you have three older sisters. They were ecstatic about coming to visit you at the hospital the morning after you were born.Ramona and Mika were beyond eager to cuddle you in their arms.
Jii and Baachan came to visit you, too. They love their little "Ken-chan."
During this visit, we kept up our tradition of exchanging sibling gifts . . .
. . . and your sister Paula kept busy playing with the hospital bed, making it go up and down, up and down.You got smothered with kisses--we can't seem to keep our lips off of your face.
Nurse Nikki got the girls some big sister bands on their way out. They were so proud.
Your dad made multiple trips back to the hospital to spend time with us. I think you two are going to get along really well.
The hospital brought up a fancy meal for us on Friday evening to help us celebrate your birth.
On Saturday morning I tried putting clothes on you for the first time. I am still getting used to little boy clothes--and the fact that I have a son! Please be patient with me.
Around noon your sisters came back to cuddle you some more while we waited to be discharged.When things were taking longer than anticipated, they all piled on the bed to watch the beginning of Inside Out. They are quite the crew, as you will come to find out!
Finally, it was time to strap you in and take you home.
As Ramona expressed in the note taped to your bassinet, you are a beloved new addition to this family, and despite being a little outnumbered by girls, we hope you feel welcome in our home. Thank you for coming, and for bringing a taste of heaven along with you.
Love
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment