Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Mountain of the Lord's House

There are four places where I feel closest to God, and over Memorial Day weekend I was able to spend time at each of them.
1) The Temple
The temple to which we are currently assigned is just south of Denver. The drive is short enough that we usually are able to take the whole family when we go. Ramona and Mika love being by the big fountain out front. I love being in the Celestial Room . . . sitting in there helps to remind me of who I am and the direction I am trying to go.
 
 
2) Church
Too often I take for granted the peace that comes from participating in church services each week. It takes some effort to get everyone in their Sunday best and out the door on time, but the spiritual renewal I find there makes it all worth it. Sometimes there are a few extra minutes to snap photos before we leave, and those are usually worth it, as well.
 
This past Sunday Ramona even found a few extra minutes (when I wasn't looking) to inscribe her name on the front door with sidewalk chalk. It is HER house, after all.

I didn't get a chance to take my baby's official 5 month pictures (like some moms are so good about doing), but at least I got these, just a few days late.
 
 
 
3) In the Mountains
The bible records that Moses went up Mount Sinai to speak with God. Although my life experiences are much different from those of Moses, I can relate to the idea of communing with God through nature. For me, there is nothing quite like a higher altitude hike to help me feel the power and majesty of my creator.
On Memorial Day our family ventured out to Horsetooth Falls, hitting the hiking trail with Paula on my back, Mika on Forest's back, and the snacks on Ramona's back.
 
 
 
 
 
This particular hike was monumental for our family because we actually completed it--made it to the falls and back. No turning back partway through because someone was too tired or peed their pants.
 
 
 
 
 
Now that I look at these family photos, I realize the baby looks a little squished. Sorry, Paula doll!
We did pull you out to enjoy some freedom every now and again.
Overall the baby did great on her very first hike. And Ramona hiked almost the entire 2.4 miles on her own. There was just a little stretch toward the end where I piggybacked her after she fell head first into the dirt and burst into tears. (I had Paula swiveled around up front at the same time, so we looked like a three-headed hiking monster, I'm sure.) But other than that, Ramona did it all!
 
 
Mika stayed mostly on Daddy's back for the hike. But she did get out to spend a few moments on the trail with her big sis.
4) At Home with Family
Our house is far from picture perfect, but on most days it's just the place where my heart needs to be. I know God gave me this family to help me become a better person. When I remember that, our home feels sanctified somehow--despite its shortcomings--and it's a place where I can feel close to Him.

1 comment:

The Nelsons said...

So glad Forest didn't wet his pants this go round!! ;-)