Monday, December 30, 2013

Goodbye for now, Connor

Today was the funeral of our nephew Connor. I wish I could have been at the service--I really wanted to be present to mourn together with my sister-in-law Crissy and her daughter Aubrey. It must have been a difficult day for them. Thankfully, Forest was able to fly out on his own so he could be there representing our little side of the family. He also had the opportunity to dedicate Connor's grave before his body was laid to rest.

When I think of Connor I think of two things. The first thing I think of is pain. Connor suffered from an undiagnosed degenerative brain disease that gradually robbed him of physical function during his short six years of life. Ever since seeing him as a baby, I remember him always struggling and fighting against pain and discomfort.

The second thing I think of is love. Despite the tremendous suffering he experienced, he hardly ever left the loving arms of his mother, who talked to him in the sweetest, most patient voice and was forever stealing kisses from his beautiful blue-eyed face. His older sister was also always close by, holding his hand and giving him hugs. There is no doubt that he knew he was loved. And that he filled other people's hearts with love.

He may have never walked or talked in this life, but I am certain he fulfilled his earthly mission in the most valiant manner possible--he accepted his pain-stricken body with humility and grace, and helped show people what love can truly be. Thank you, Connor, for your time with us . . . and goodbye for now.

Link to Connor's obituary here

No comments: