Wednesday, February 10, 2010

TP'ed

As a mother, I feel a sense of empowerment and competence when filth is turned to cleanliness, clutter is arranged into organization, and chaos is brought under control.

Ramona, on the other hand, acts most uneasy when she sees something neatly put away or stacked up. For her, it is ludicrous to have all of her books lined up on a bookshelf, all of her toys gathered in one corner of the room, or all socks contained inside a dresser drawer. Of course, these things were meant to be scattered across the floor, and nothing provides greater enjoyment than strewing those things where they rightfully belong.

I have therefore concluded that the two of us are dependent on each other in a fundamental way: I have a need to create order from her disorder. She has a need to create disorder from my order. Without each other, how would these needs be fulfilled?

Yesterday, order was a roll of toilet paper, within Ramona's reach--promptly turned to disorder, all across the living room floor.

Really, what would I do without this child?

3 comments:

Grace said...

So cute!!! Do I also see bits of toilet paper that was chewed on?...
Love it!

Brittney Richards said...

At least the disorder comes from someone else. I tend to disorder my own order and have no one to blame except myself. Too fun!

Ivy said...

I participate in the disordering process, as well...but it's usually more gradual and less prolific than that of this 9-month-old. It's also not in the form of toilet paper scattered across the living room.